Senior Research Scientist
Mesa Photonics, LLC, in Santa Fe, NM, has an immediate opening for a Senior Research Scientist. Candidates must have a Ph.D. in physics, chemistry, or a related engineering discipline as well as experience with lasers, optical spectroscopy or a closely related field.
ABOUT MESA PHOTONICS LLC
Mesa Photonics has a reputation for excellence in research, development, and manufacture of:
- Ultrafast laser pulse measurement systems.
- Sophisticated optical instrumentation for gas analysis.
- Precision droplet analyzers and field calibration instruments.
Our newest success is a rapid, novel COVID-19 test for which we will soon seek emergency FDA approval.
Mesa Photonics, LLC, a New Mexico limited liability company (the “Company”), is an equal opportunity employer. The Company will not fail or refuse to hire, discharge, or otherwise discriminate against any individual with respect to their compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment because of such individual’s race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, handicap, veteran status, ancestry or national origin. This policy extends to all departments of the company and all aspects of the company’s operations. Harassment of any form, whether it be verbal, physical, visual, sexual, racial, ethnic, or of some other type, is strictly against Company policy.
Mesa Photonics maintains a drug-, alcohol-, and smoke-free workplace.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Senior Research Scientist will start by participating in ongoing projects involving heterodyne detection of atmospheric gases, Raman spectroscopy of soil gases, optical absorption spectroscopy, and detection and characterization of atmospheric droplets and aerosols. Activities will emphasize helping to meet contract objectives including instrument design and assembly, lab experiments, preparing purchase orders, data analysis, writing reports and manuscripts for publication, preparing patents, participating in conferences and trade shows, and – when feasible — converting successful lab technology to commercial products. Within one to three years, we expect the scientist to begin expanding applications and capabilities of Mesa’s existing technology and/or developing new research niches. This will include writing proposals and becoming the Principal Investigator on one or more projects. Mesa Photonics will train the scientist in proposal writing, budgeting, and project management.
At Mesa Photonics, we value commitment to the success of our customers, respect for our team members, and the desire to constantly learn and improve.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Ph.D. in physics, chemistry, or related engineering discipline
- Laboratory experience with lasers and optical spectroscopy or closely related fields
- Desire to move technology from the lab to commercial products
- Strong time management and organization skills
- Strong project management and supervision skills
- Ability to work successfully with multiple internal and external colleagues
- Exceptional ability to communicate complex concepts clearly both orally and in writing
- Familiarity with standard office software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint or equivalents
- Help implement and manage safety protocols
- Post-doctoral experience is a plus
- Computer programming expertise (Matlab, LabVIEW, Python, C/C++) also a plus
Mesa Photonics strives to maintain a collegial atmosphere that includes collaboration and respect among colleagues. We discourage competition among researchers and try to find a good balance between publishing in the scientific literature, patenting innovations, and maintaining trade secrets. Most of Mesa Photonics government grants and contracts encourage disseminating research results when possible. We do not work with classified information.
We try to maintain flexible work hours and allow working remotely except when they interfere with team efforts.
The company occupies a 5000 square foot research and manufacturing facility in Santa Fe, NM. Santa Fe and environs have numerous opportunities for recreation (skiing, cycling, hiking, swimming, climbing, camping, golf, etc), visual arts, and music.
For further inquiries, please email [email protected].